Thursday, January 17, 2013

Eat clean, train dirty!

I don't know who came up with that phrase but I really like it!  This is the first full week that I've been drinking 3 smoothies a day and I can't believe the difference!  I feel a lot better.  Even when I eat a regular meal at dinner time I still drink my homemade smoothie to make sure I'm getting enough fruits and vegetables.

What I find interesting is that we are raised in America learning about the food pyramid.  Well guess what?  The food pyramid isn't necessarily the best way to live your life.  Whereas carbohydrates aren't necessarily the root of all evil like some dieters believe, they are also not necessarily what people should be using as the cornerstone of their diet.  Fruits and vegetables are actually better choices.  The provide and abundance of vitamins and nutrients that can help us lose weight and stay healthy. 

So second night of doing the relaxing yoga stretches and I finally feel like I slept most of the night!  I got about 6 hours of sleep before waking up for some reason my subconscious doesn't feel like divulging.  I'm taking that as a good sign.  Hopefully if I keep up with it I'll get to the point where my body relaxes and I can sleep a whole night.  Some of it may be discomfort as I've noticed if I move wrong while sleeping I can jar my ankle rather uncomfortably.  Hopefully solving the ankle problem will solve my sleeping problem!

Onto the ongoing bane of my start to 2013 the ankle.  Still stiff.  I think the sudden cold snap aggravated it honestly.  Last night instead of going to the gym I met up with my friend Kirstin and we had dinner (it was relatively healthy I think) and then went for a walk instead.  I noticed today that it's feeling much better so I'm starting to think that I've been overdoing it at the gym perhaps.  Even though I've been sticking to low impact I might have to ease up a bit.  I visited the doctor on the 28th of last month and he told me 1 month so I better try to listen better I suppose.

It is made infinitely harder due to the amount of time I've spent this week looking at different marathon training routines.  I swore this year I wanted to make a change and I really think getting into running is one of them.  I've become addicted to fitsugar.com.  One of their articles is called: 6 ways to become a better runner and it has a bunch of links to other articles about hydration, diet, proper form and training routines for marathon training.  I REALLY want to try these!  Unfortunately I think that's going to have to be after I come back from my vacation.  Another two weeks of no sports, no impact exercising puts us into the beginning of February and then there's only two weeks before I leave on my first "adult" vacation with my good friend Kirstin.  If I re-injured myself before going to The Philippines I might actually cry! 

In other news my awesome mother sent me a care package!  I've yet to find anything but whey protein in Korea so far.  After lamenting about it to her at the beginning of the year she packed up two jugs of vanilla soy protein along with a bunch of vacation clothes into a box for me!  I don't know what I'd do without my wonderful family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment