Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 1

Since I broke my diet yesterday, today is once again day one..... Grr....  Actually it's not that bad.  I realize realistically people can't be perfect and I'm definitely far from it.  I have also already planned to break my diet this weekend as I will be out of town, my goal is to make the healthiest food choices possible and to get my gym time in before hand.

Last night I went to the gym for about 2 hours.  I did 40 minutes on the bike (2 more weeks and then I can try the treadmill hopefully), stretches and then an upper body workout.  It was a good workout but boy the gym has gotten crowded!  Looks like I'm not the only one trying to keep a resolution!

What I have also realized recently is that Korea is even more of a food culture than America, which I didn't think was possible.  Meal time is considered a time to be with others, you don't eat alone, it just doesn't happen.  There are some restaurants in Korea that won't serve just one person, their menus are set up for 2+.  It is difficult to take yourself out of that aspect of the culture without them feeling sorry for you.  I had noticed this to some extent with the Head English teacher at my school.  He is a vegetarian and therefore usually had to prepare his own food as just about everything in Korea has some meat in it ( FYI Koreans don't think seafood is meat, so be warned if you ever come to South Korea and ask for a vegetarian menu you will likely get seafood).  Experiencing it has been a different matter all together.  I think it will probably continue to be a rather large adjustment as most of my coworkers know I love Korean food and so they want to share what they bring!  I am lucky though in that my coworkers are incredibly nice people.  Yesterday I didn't have my gym bag with me so Su Yeon reminded me to make sure I went to the gym!

One thing I definitely do need to work on immediately is my sleep schedule!  I typically go to bed but find myself having a difficult time falling asleep no matter how tired I am.  The smoothies have been helping with my energy level because of the protein and vitamins but I still find myself tired and not wanting to get up in the mornings.  I started working out earlier in the day (right after work) to make sure that it wasn't that the exercise was hyping me up.  To combat this problem I bought some walnuts this week for my afternoon snack instead of almonds as walnuts are a natural source of melatonin which is supposed to regulate sleep.  I will eat a handful of these this week.  I also found a yoga workout from Fitness Magazine that is supposed to help with relaxation: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/yoga/poses/yoga-routine-before-sleep/.  So starting tonight I'm going to try this yoga routine before bed to see if that helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment